Monday, May 16, 2011

Just Be True to Who You Are....

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars.  Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing.  Its okay not to be okay.  Sometimes its hard, to follow your heart. Tears don't mean your losing, everybody's bruising.... just be true to who you are.

The first time I heard this song, it was empowering, but yet brought tears to my eyes.  It amazes me how influenced we (as a population) are.  Influenced by media (such as television and music), influenced by our peers, influenced by family.  Some of us get lost in the translation of trying to be like someone else, trying to be someone who we're not.  Some us change ourselves to fit this mold, where we think people will like us more.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with my fathers personality.  The "I don't care what you think of me - like me or not, it's your problem) attitude.  I can say that I have never changed or altered my state of being for someone else other than myself.  I say that with complete confidence, that I've been true to who I am.  Yes, I have been influenced to do things, to like things or to dislike things.  But in the end, I had made the decision for myself, not for my influencer. Okay, but back to the song...

The first part of the song, she sings about standing in front of the mirror, wondering why she's losing herself on a tiny error, and how she almost left the real her on the shelf.  I know there are things we don't like about our appearances, I for one would like a nicer ass, bigger boobs, slimmer waste... I have my days where I like how I am, others not so much.  But I'm comfortable with myself, with my body.  I'm not satisfied, but comfortable.  Comfortable enough to not lose myself and be depressed, comfortable enough to go out dancing and have fun, comfortable enough to be able to go out and eat with friends, comfortable enough to wear a push-up bra occasionally to make the girls look a little bigger.. (sorry for the false advertisement, boys... but you'd be surprised how many girls wear push-up bras).  But there are those people who tear themselves apart for things they don't like about themselves.  That's a huge part of where bulimia, and other eating disorders come in, plastic surgery, etc.

The second part of the song, she talks about brushing her hair and forgetting how to fit the mold.  But the more she tries, the less it works.. cause everything inside her is screaming "no!" Like I said, I've never tried to fit a mold to get someones approval.  So I can't put my own experience and thoughts into this segment.  But if you're trying to be someone you're not, deep down in your heart, you know that it's not you... how can you truly be happy?  It's sad that some people think that they'll be happier to have more friends being someone that they're not, or happier that they have this amazing boyfriend (who likes some girl that's not even who you really are).  How can you truly be happy with your life, pretending?  It's like playing "life", instead of playing "house" when we were younger.  Someday it has to end... and where does that leave you?  What good does it do you?  It leaves you blank.  I'm sure it will leave you lost, with no sense of you you really are.. because you pretended for so long.   If someone cannot appreciate you the way you are, the person you are... they don't deserve to be in your life.  Kick them out!  You'll find other people to LOVE YOU for who YOU REALLY ARE!  For all those nerds who try to hide how smart they are, for all the gays who try to pretend they're straight, for all the cheap asses pretending they have money, and all the other people I missed... don't fit the mold you think you have to fit.  There is no mold, it's only existent in your head.  Be true to who you are, people will love you if you're super smart, gay or broke... and you'll be a happier you, pretending not be someone you're not.

Yes, No, Egos
Fakes shows like whoah
Just go, and leave me alone
Real talk, real life
Good love, goodnight
With a smile, that's my home







No comments:

Post a Comment