Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Ma'am

I'm fine being called:

"Hey you"
"Miss"
"Lady"
"Beautiful"
"Bitch"
"Sweetie
"Babe" and/or "Baby"
.....

Okay, the last 3 or 4 are a little personal, and only apply to certain people. LOL  But back to the main subject... I don't mind someone calling me random names, but the one I DO NOT approve of..

"Ma'am"

UGHHHH X34982498123408

I totally get that it's out of "respect", as a customer told me today when I told him that was the 2nd time I was called that today and it makes me feel old.  He apologized, and then said something a little cheesy about wanting to know my name, and he'll call me by my name next time; and then saying he would ask me my age, but knows he shouldn't, yadda yadda yadda.  Then I think he was trying to score brownie points by saying he felt really bad. LOL He made me laugh, so I got over it.  But the first time I was called that today was by a kid like 2-4 years younger than me (I'm guessing), and I handed him an employment application and he said, "Thank you ma'am." As soon as he walked out I heard from a couple of the guys at work, giving me a hard time cause I was called "ma'am" and that I'm old.  Then like 20 minutes later, the kid brings back the application and hands it to the floor manager (who's a good 20 years older than me).  The kid walked out, and the manager laughed and made fun cause he wasn't called "sir".  WTF?!?

The only other time I've been called ma'am is by a close friend of mine, and when I sort of demand something or reprimand him.. his common response is "Yes ma'am".  But he says that cause he knows I can't stand it.  But when someone is NOT joking, and uses the word sincerely; I stings.  What happened to "miss"?  Do I not looked like a "misses" anymore?!?

I'm officially going through it... I'm officially OLD, and I haven't even hit 25 yet. 
SSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment